Sunday, December 18, 2011

A babe in a manger

One of the things I love to do at Christmas is to set out my nativity sets.  I have a small collection that mean the world to me.  I look forward to this ritual every year. When the kids were little, they would help me place the figurines around the manger.  This year I did it by myself.

After being packed up for a year, I love unwrapping them and being reminded of the incredible gift of Jesus.

I wanted to share a few of my favorites with you.

Soulmate and I bought this one on our honeymoon in Acapulco twenty-five years ago.


For unto us a child is born, to us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder, and his name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

My baby daughter brought me this nativity from Africa.


While they were there, the time came for the baby to be born, and she gave birth to her firstborn, a son.  She wrapped him in cloths and placed him in a manager, because there was no room in the inn.


And I love this one from Guatemala that my oldest daughter gave me.


In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.  He was with God in the beginning.  Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.  In him was life, and that life was the light of men.  That light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it.  


My nativity sets remind me to slow down and to reflect on the truth of the Christmas season.

Thank you God for the gift of your Son.

If you don't know our Savior, I would love to share His story with you.

Merry Christmas! J

2 comments: